A common thread in four buildings which collapsed, between December last year and March this year, is non-compliance. 

Dean Macpherson, the Minister of Public Works, said on Thursday, investigations uncovered recurring weaknesses across parts of the built-environment system.

“The principal problem identified by these investigations is inconsistent implementation, inadequate oversight, weak enforcement and non-compliance. At the same time, the reports identify areas in which the regulatory framework itself requires modernisation and strengthening” said Macpherson.

Such investigations were commissioned against the backdrop of a deeply concerning period for building safety in the country.

A total of 17 people died, and 24 were injured, when buildings caved in, at Redcliffe in Verulam, eThekwini; Doornkop in Soweto; Ormonde in Johannesburg; and the Magnolia Development in Sea Point, Cape Town.

“The second major finding is that significant unlawful construction can remain outside the formal regulatory system for far too long. Redcliffe and Ormonde are the clearest examples. In both cases, substantial construction had progressed without prior building approval. The investigations also raise concerns about the wider practice of construction proceeding first and approval being sought afterwards. That is unacceptable” said the Minister.

All findings recommend that Government needs to become better at detecting risk before a collapse occurs.

Picture: Supplied 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *