The Mossel Bay Municipality is discouraging visits to the Diaz beach, following last week’s significant storm-related damage and hazardous debris, along sections of the coastline.
As a result, the Municipality shut the beach area with immediate effect, on Wednesday, until further notice.
The area of concern is from Blue Waters to Twee Kuilen.
Colin Puren, the Municipal Manager, said five days ago, a combination of damaging winds, high wave activity and storm surge conditions, caused structural damage to beachfront infrastructure.
He also said large volumes of debris are being deposited along the shoreline, making it unsafe to access the area.
Fencing at the beach has literally collapsed.
But of concern, are pieces of wooden poles flung to the beach, metal fragments, palisade fencing and other sharp materials.
Similarly, the Western Cape Government announced there are still 23 closed roads in the Garden Route District.
The Oudtshoorn Municipality announced the N12 between Oudtshoorn and George is currently closed, due to rockfalls.
Motorists are advised to rather use the R328 via Robinson Pass between Oudtshoorn and Hartenbos.
There is currently no indication of when the N12 will be reopened.
Motorists are urged to continue exercising caution and to avoid flooded crossings and closed routes.
Picture: Supplied
